It sucks to be ME

Thursday, June 29, 2006

the ark

Esther and I caught The Ark last night at the Bowery Ballroom. We didn’t know what to expect. She got a pair of free tickets from her coworker. So we waited and watched one of the bands play before The Ark. They were the Baby Dayliners. I kinda liked them. The singer had this weird nonchalant mannerism that was funny to watch as he walked around singing his songs, holding the mic in his left hand while holding a black bandana in his right hand (which he never didn anything with during the whole set, he just… held it!). Their songs weren’t complicated, quite simple and had easy melodies.

We didn’t know what was in store for us when The Ark came on. The Swedish band members came out all dressed in clockwork-orange white outfits, and the lead singer, Ola Sola, came out in a leopard leotard with red santa clause colored knee high boots!! He was fabulous! It was like watching glam rock on acid. David bowie crossed with abba crossed with late 70s euro-pop crossed with everything else!!! His voice reminded me of andy bell of erasure. What a show… more like a performance!! At times, it felt like I was watching a broadway musical. All the music was catchy and singable and they really got the crowd hyped up. Esther and I had a laugh watching the two lanky male groupies in front grope the lead singer and guitarist like little screaming teenagers at an n’sync show. So much fun, I forgot how great it is to see live bands. Its been too long!!


1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home