It sucks to be ME

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Taming the pack rat


I moved back into my apt after 3 months of subletting and hopping around from apt to apt. it was purely a financial decision to sublet for so long. I’m happy that I saved some money, but at the same time, homelessness just wasn’t doing it for me. I finally got ‘home’ about a week and a half ago. And I gotta say, it feels supreme to have a place that’s mine… all mine! Well, technically it’s my landlord’s, but you know what I mean. My own furniture, my own pictures, my own utensils, my own cookware, my own bed.

I did some spring cleaning as I unpack the boxes of clothing and shoes that I hadn’t worn in 5 months. I ended up tossing a huge bag of clothes and 7 pairs of shoes. I remember back in Oct when I first moved into this apt, I gave Becky 15 pairs of shoes and a suitcase full of clothes. So why didn’t I just throw out the 7 pairs that I just bagged back when I gave Becky the 15??? Where were they hiding?

Sadly, living in NY is dictated by space constraints, on all levels. Not just in my closet. This has been challenging to my semi-packrat mentality. I hate getting rid of stuff that I bought with my hard earned money, that I may wear again someday in the far future, that may come back into style in two decades, that I may pass down to my children, that I can’t fit into right now b/c I gained weight but want to keep since I’m determined to lose that weight and fit those jeans again (I’ve held onto that pair for 5 years now….). I can’t kill the packrat in me…. but I’m getting is under control. Back in CA, I would never have thrown out those 22 pairs of shoes!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger j0mammma said…

    hey lady! help a sista out ---> mail it to me next time *geez*

    cute pad! reminds me how much work i'm procrastinating on...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home